Polenta Breakfast Bake with Italian Sausage
- Yield: 8 servings
This breakfast bake is best when made ahead and chilled the night before serving. Simply pop in the oven and bake in the morning to add ease and decadence to your weekend brunch routine.
- 3cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1cup whole milk
- 1 1/4cups polenta
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2cups shredded cheese (I used a combination of mozzarella and Monterey Jack
- 1/2pound loose, sweet Italian sausage
- 8ounces sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 5-6 eggs
- 2tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and black pepper
- To a large saucepan, add the broth and milk. Bring to a simmer, and stir in the polenta. Reduce the heat and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the polenta is cooked, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the butter and cheese. Stir until melted. Set aside.
- To a large saute pan, add the sausage. Cook until just browned on the outside, and add the mushrooms and shallot. Cook until the veggies are tender and the sausage is no longer pink. Add the polenta mixture to the pan with the sausage and mushroom mixture. Stir to combine. Pour the mixture into a large baking dish and cover. Place in the refrigerator for about and 2 hours to chill.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Place the polenta, covered, in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from heat. Reduce heat on the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Crack the eggs on top of the polenta. Sometimes, it’s easier to crack the eggs into a bowl first to make sure they are not broken and you get out any unwanted shell pieces. Bake, uncovered, until the eggs are set, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with black pepper and chopped cilantro. Enjoy!