Faux Chicken Salad
- Yield: servings
- 1-- block extra firm tofu
- 1/4cup walnut pieces
- 1/2cup green apple, chopped finely
- 1/4cup dried cranberries
- 1/4cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4teaspoon sea salt
- -- fresh ground pepper
- -- (optional) vegan mini fillo cups
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Press tofu to remove water for at least 15 minutes. Slice tofu into thin rectangles (about 1 cm thick). Grease baking sheet with olive oil (or spray with a Misto). Place tofu on baking sheet, making sure none of the pieces overlap. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip tofu slices and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool as you chop the apple. Chop walnuts as well if the pieces are large. Remove tofu from pan and chop as finely as possible.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine tofu, apple, walnuts, cranberries, and mayo. Stir well to combine. Add salt and more to taste, if you like. Add a few turns of fresh ground pepper (I turned my pepper mill five times). Stir once more to fully combine all the ingredients.
- Spoon into fill cups, serve with crackers or over mixed greens, or use as the filling in a sandwich or wrap.
Reprinted with permission from Foodie Fresh by Kelly Davis. Kelly Davis is a blogger, freelance writer, and social media consultant. When she's not training for a race or cooking something delicious in the kitchen, she's writing, reading, snuggling her dachshund, or plotting her next project. You can keep up with Kelly's antics and recipes on her blog, Foodie Fresh.