This is one of those recipes that is so simple in ingredients and in technique, but yet packs a lot of punch. There are five wholesome ingredients in here. Five. No pungent sauces, no decadent creams or mousses, nothing! Just some simplistic items, combined together and cooked in a way that allows everything to shine.
It doesn’t get much simpler than this: fresh organic strawberries, tossed with just the littlest bit of coconut sugar, real deal vanilla, balsamic and coconut oil, and then roasted until it all bursts, caramelizes and marries together.
Spoon it over vanilla ice cream, mix it into some grass fed whole milk plain yogurt, smear over some toast, top pound cake, angel food cake, or shortcakes, or shoot—just eat it warm out of the pan like we did. These roasted strawberries are amazing as is, but can totally be spooned into a jar with an air-tight lid and stored in the fridge and allowed to cool and set up. It’ll thicken a bit once chilled.
Smash ’em up and make a sort of roasted jam, or leave em whole—that’s up to you. Whatever you decide, make these stat while strawberries are fresh and sweet!
- 1½ pounds organic fresh strawberries
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut sugar (we enjoyed our lightly sweetened with 2 tablespoons)
- ½ vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F and rub a baking dish with the coconut oil. Set aside.
- Wash and dry your strawberries. Then, cut the tops off and discard. Cut the large strawberries in half and leave the smaller ones whole. Add to a bowl.
- Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of coconut sugar—depending on your taste to the bowl of strawberries. For a little more sweet, go for 3, for a lightly sweetened end product, stick with 2.
- Next, cut the half of a vanilla bean in half lengthwise (thus exposing all those glorious seeds) and scrape the seeds out using the back of your knife. Add seeds and the half of a pod to the bowl.
- Finally, add the teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and toss everything together.
- Pour strawberries into the greased baking dish and spread out into an even layer. Make sure to scrape bowl and get any and all juices!
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so, until the strawberries are soft and juices are bubbling!
Note: Mixture will thicken up significantly once chilled in the fridge, but is amazing spooned warm over full-fat yogurt, vanilla ice cream, or eaten as is.